Friday 1 January 2016

Letter to NUH quality manager


My mum Wan Soo Ha died on 30Dec2015 of colorectal cancer in NUH ward 58, bed 32. She was admitted to hospital on 3Nov2015. My family and I would like to express our special thanks to the ward sisters, nurses, doctors, medical social worker Vivian and other hospital staff who helped to take care of my mum during her most difficult and painful period in her life. 

My mum was asked to go to the hospice but NUH allowed her to stay till her last moments. We were touched by the nurses attentive care during her last moments to manage and control her pain, and to clean and change her to make her feel comfortable. My mum had always been very independent. She lived alone since my dad passed away. The cancer illness had entirely destroyed her health, mobility and her quality of life. She couldn't eat or drink during her last days. 

During the cancer treatment, her oncologist doctor, Dr Ho Jing Shan did not talk to us how my mum's body would react if she stopped chemo treatment and her cancer illness deteriorated. My mum took it badly mentally when her physical body deteriorated when she stopped her cancer treatment and had to be admitted in hospital. Initially, she was hopeful that she could be discharged. Towards her end, when she knew it was impossible for her to discharge, she was depressed and wanted a quicker death. 

I hope all terminally ill cancer patients who are currently undergoing cancer treatment in NUH would receive palliative care at the same time. It would help them and their family members prepare themselves better when they face death eventually. 

Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment